The ‘Global Warning Indicator' is the world's first downloadable weather station. It has been specifically designed for children to record their local weather and then share that information with fellow enthusiasts around the country, to produce real time weather predictions that (I argue) are more accurate than those currently being offered by the Met Office (with it’s £33 million supercomputer, 1500 staff and an operating budget of £170 million and it’s all done by simple observation and the accurate recording of data.
This low tech, scientific instrument takes full advantage of 3D printing technology, as there is no stock left languishing on a shelf (it doesn’t exist until you’ve placed an order). It’s 100% green credentials are that it’s made from biodegradable polyamide plastic and as such will have a minimal negative impact on our planet (there’s no need for a box, unless you want to print one yourself).
Music ('The Final Countdown' and 'Imperial March' from Star Wars by: 'The Floppotron'
a) Indicates sunshine, rain or snow (just by looking at it)
b) Low tech
c) Low carbon footprint
d) For indoors or outdoors
e) Maintence free.
1) Join up with other schools/people who take daily readings
2) Having bought your GWI, why not design your own packaging, using our template and upload it onto our site, for others to enjoy and use?
3) Why not download our designs and make your own packaging, better still use our templates and design your own?
The Global Warning Indicator’s primary aim is to:
a) Get children interested in studying the weather
b) Contribute to the global warming/freezing debate
c) Get them involved in 'Green Issues' from an early age.
It works like this:
1) Buy the GWI from iMaker 3D Printers and it will be dispatched to you within 24 hours.
2) On receipt, self assemble GWI (http://planetreed.london/?page_id=145)
3) Download the packaging from Prontoprint (or design your own).
4) Record the weather and upload data to our national ‘Cordani Coordinates’ climate software
5) Team up with fellow enthusiasts and schools and share information. The more people that plot and calculate the weather more accurate your predictions will be.
But, why depend on my 'Global Warning Indicator' to predict the weather in the first place, when old wive’s tails (which use nature) have been doing a pretty good job of doing just that for hundreds of years are known to be 100% accurate.
We all know a ‘Red sky at night, shepherd’d delight: means that ‘fair weather is headed towards you’ and that ‘red sky in the morning shepherd’s warning’ means, prepare for a wet and windy day. Other weather proverbs are ‘A ring around the sun or moon’ means rain or snow is on it’s way and when a pine cone closes up, then it’s about to rain. ‘When swallows fly high it will be dry’, ‘cows lie down when it’s about to rain’ and (assuming you buy British onions) then ‘the thicker the outer skin the harder the winter to come’. For more information go to: http://www.weatherwithouttechnology.co.uk/index.html